Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Dear Santa 100 Years Ago

Local newspapers began printing children's letters to Santa Claus in the late nineteen teens. Today, let's take a look at what Williamsburg County's boys and girls were asking St. Nick for a hundred years ago in December 1920.


A  box for Santa Claus letters in downtown Kingstree, December 2020.


Dear Santa Clause (sic)

I am a little boy six years old and in the first grade at school. I am writing to tell you what I want for Christmas. I want a little car, a billy goat wagon, a little train that runs on a track, a little drum, some fireworks and some fruit.

Your friend,

Buster McIntosh

Kingstree

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Old Santa–

I am a little boy, and Santa, I want you to bring me a gun, a horn, bucket and shovel, hoe and rake, and would like a horse and wagon, too, if you can bring it, and all kinds of fruit, and, Santa, don't forget my little sister, Helen. She is five years old, too. She wants a doll and doll carriage, a cup and saucer, a picture book, and all kinds of fruit. Santa, I live five miles from Cades on RFD 1, Box 13, now dear old Santa, don't forget my house when you are passing. Please bring me those things, and I will save you some turkey.

Your little friend,

W.D. and Helen Coker

Cades


Dear Santa Claus–

I am a big little boy now, almost seven years old, and I want you to please bring me an air rifle, some fruit, and lots of nice things. Now don't forget my little brother, Merridan, he will soon be two years old. He wants a rubber ball and a stocking full of good things to eat. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Your little boy,

Harry Huggins

Hemingway

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Old Santa Claus–

I am writing to tell you what I want you to bring me for Christmas. I am a little girl seven years old. Please bring me a big doll with curly hair, a doll bed, a little stove, and lots of fruit, candy, and nuts, and please don't forget to bring my little baby sister a rattler.

Your little friend,

Florie Smith

Kingstree, Rt. 1



Dear Santa Claus–

I thought I would write you and tell you what I want you to bring me. I am a little boy four years old, and I want you to bring me a little pony and buggy, also a saddle and bridle. Don't forget to bring me lots of fruit and candy. I won't ask for much as times are hard.

Your friend,

James Guess

Lane

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Santa Clause (sic)–

I am a little girl going to school and am seven years old. I want a beauty pin, a story book, a doll stove, and some fruit, and some fireworks.

From your little friend,

Virginia Gowdy

Cades


Dear Santa–

A Merry Christmas to you. I am a little boy eight years old. I want you to please remember me with a little automobile, a horse and wagon, some candy, fruit, nuts and also some fireworks.

Your little friend,

Elwin Haselden

Andrews

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Old Santa–

Please bring me a horn, a drum, an automobile, some candy, a toy Christmas tree, and a toy Christmas house. I know these are hard times, so if you can, bring me all these. Bring something nice to my new little sister. I will be sleeping when you come. I try to be good but am bad sometimes.

With lots of love,

Claude McCabe

Kingstree


Dear Santa Claus–

I am a little girl five years old, and I want you to bring me a hobby horse, airplane, duck and all kinds of fireworks for Christmas.

Your little niece,

Edith Camlin

Trio

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Old Santa–

Christmas is almost here, so I am going to write you and tell you what I want. I want oranges, apples, raisins, and, Santa, please bring me anything else you would like me to have. I won't ask for much this Christmas as money is scarce, and you have so many children to give presents to. Santa, I am 11 years old. Please don't forget me.

Your friend,

Juanita Duke

Kingstree



Dear Old Santa–

Will write you a short letter to tell you what I want you to bring me. Some fireworks and a rifle. That is all I will ask of you this time.

Your little friend,

Edward McCants

Andrews

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dear Old Santa–

I thought I had better write and let you know who I am and where I am. I am at Hemingway, have been adopted in this home since last Christmas. Please bring me a mouth organ, a pistol, some fruit, some candy and nuts. Now, dear Santa, please don't make a mistake in finding me in the home of Brooks Altman, the only little boy here.

Joe Altman

Hemingway


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this! My Dad, James Guess, is featured. What a precious gift for our family to read this!

Vicky Guess McDonald