Wednesday, March 16, 2022

It Takes a Village to Raise a Child

We've all heard the proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child." Not having children of my own, I hadn't taken the time to think much about the saying until I witnessed a sterling example of it at last Saturday's Farmers' Market. 

One of Kingstree's second graders approached the ladies who were selling cupcakes and cookies. As their goodies go fast, there wasn't a whole lot left on the table, but he asked hopefully if there were any chocolate chip cookies. "Yes, there are," he was told. When asked how many he wanted, he said, "One." Then he paused for a second, shook his head, and corrected himself, "No, two." And then I think he said very quietly, "I should get one for my sister."

"The cookies are a dollar a piece," the lady told him, "so that will be two dollars."

"I only have a twenty dollar bill," he said.

"That's okay," she reassured him. "I can make change." As she reached for her cash box, she added, "Now, you tell me how much change I should give you." 

He thought for a second. "You said the cookies are two dollars. I gave you twenty, so you should give me... eighteen."

"Very good!" she said. And they high-fived!

He handed her his money, and she got his change. Handing it to him, she said, "Now, you count it for me to make sure I gave you the right amount."

"Ten, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen," he counted.

"That's good," she said. "You put your money in your wallet and put it back in your pocket while I put your cookies in a bag."

The transaction completed, they grinned at each other, and one happy little boy disappeared into the crowd, not realizing that both math and social skills had just been reinforced by the nice lady who had sold him two cookies.

Yes, it takes a village to raise a child, and for those of us who love this village, this little vignette should make our hearts happy.

No comments: